Forum 2017: The Passion Behind the Power of the Principal
Forum 2017: The Passion Behind the Power of the PrincipalAdrian Edwards, Director, Communications and Marketing
Thursday’s morning colloquium was full of energy as David Coleman, president and CEO of the College Board, celebrated National Principals Month by spotlighting the work of a stellar panel of school principals from across the nation. David candidly shared that the College Board can and should do more to understand and support the role of the principal and marked today as the beginning of a multi-year effort to become a key partner in principals’ everyday work. This intimate and honest panel generated a compelling discussion.
Some highlights of the passion behind the power of the principal were:
- Crystal Bonds, principal, High School for Mathematics, Science and Engineering at City College, NY, shared she is driven to ensure every student is given the access she didn’t receive growing up.
- Dr. Gregory Jones, principal, Kenwood Academy High School, IL, explained he is motivated by the long term-impact supporting each and every student can have.
- Dr. Zipporah Hightower, executive director of principal quality, IL, discussed her personal and powerful experience with using data to inform instruction to ensure every child’s needs are met in every grade, every year.
- Shawn Snyder, principal, Milford High School, DE, was so moved by the educators he grew up around that he is committed to provide that same support beyond the classroom to meet the needs of a diverse community to ensure every single student graduates.
- Priscilla Ribeiro, principal, Fort Lauderdale High School, FL, echoed the passion of her colleagues and shared that a career pivot from the business world brought her to a role that she finds tremendous joy in every day.
David spoke for the entire room when he principals he was “deeply moved by your work to build community—your role is a true act of grace that I admire.”