What to Bring on Test Day
Here’s what students need on test day:
- Two No. 2 pencils with erasers
- An approved calculator
- Social security number (optional)
- Email address (optional)
- Current and valid school or government issued photo (for students not testing at their own school and home-schooled students only)
What Not to Bring
- Protractors, compasses, rulers
- Dictionaries or other books (there are no exceptions, even if English is not a student's first language)
- Pamphlets or papers of any kind
- Highlighters and colored pens or pencils
- Listening, recording, copying, or photographic devices (including watches and cell phones that contain cameras)
- Food and beverages, including bottled water, unless approved by the College Board’s Services for Students with Disabilities.
During the Test
During the test, these are the only things students may have on their desks:
- A test book
- An answer sheet
- No. 2 pencils with erasers
- An approved calculator (during math sections only)
Turn Off All Electronic Devices
You may not use cell phones, MP3 players, pagers, or other prohibited electronic devices during the test or breaks. Power must be turned off and these devices must be placed under your desk. If your watch has an alarm, you must turn that off as well.
Prohibited devices include any device that can access the Internet. Prohibited devices are listed in the Official Student Guide to the PSAT/NMSQT (.pdf/2.47MB).
If your phone makes noise, or you are seen using it at any time (including breaks), you will be dismissed immediately, your scores will be canceled, and the device may be confiscated and its contents inspected.
Providing an Email Address
Students who provide their email address can choose to receive information about educational opportunities and financial aid via email from colleges, universities, scholarship programs, College Board programs, and nonprofit organizations whose mission and offerings supplement the path to higher education. Learn more about connecting to colleges through Student Search Service.