beginning of content:

Submitting a Request

Before students with disabilities can take the SAT, SAT Subject Tests, PSAT/NMSQT, PSAT 10, or Advanced Placement® Exams with accommodations — such as extended time or the use of a computer — their request for accommodations must be approved by Services for Students with Disabilities (SSD).

College Board Approval Required

Use of accommodations without approval by the College Board results in cancellation of test scores.

Students with disabilities, their families, and those who work with them should know the following:

The Approval Process Can Take Seven Weeks

It can take about seven weeks for an accommodations request to be processed when documentation review is required. Get an overview of the approval process.

Most Students Work with Their Schools

Short-Term Injuries and Conditions

Most students without a diagnosed disability are ineligible for accommodations through SSD. To learn about assistance for students with short-term injuries or conditions that affect their ability to take the SAT, an SAT Subject Test, or an AP Exam, see Temporary Medical Conditions.

Most students work with their schools to submit accommodations requests online. Schools usually have an SSD Coordinator who helps students during the accommodations request process. To submit a request without their school’s involvement, families must request a paper Student Eligibility Form from their counselor or SSD. Find out why families should request accommodations through their school. 

SSD Online: The Best Way to Submit a Request

SSD Coordinators should request access to SSD Online where they can submit and manage accommodations requests for their students. Families can take advantage of this tool by working with their school. Learn about SSD Online.

More Tips

  • Only students whose disability impacts their participation in College Board exams such as the SAT receive testing accommodations. Find out who is eligible. Once a student’s accommodations are approved by the College Board, they remain in effect until one year after high school graduation (with some limited exceptions) and can be used on the SAT, SAT Subject Tests, PSAT/NMSQT, PSAT 10, and AP Exams. Students do not need to request accommodations from SSD a second time. 
  • Transfer students should tell their new school of the approved accommodations because they may still be valid.

Related Topics


SSD processes requests for SAT, SAT Subject Tests, PSAT/NMSQT, PSAT 10, and AP Exams only. Find out what to do about other exams.

Other College Board Exams

Documenting Your Request

The College Board may request documentation of the student’s disability and need for the specific accommodations requested.

Providing Documentation