Critical reading questions focus on a student's ability to analyze, evaluate, and think logically about what they read.
Get the facts on PSAT/NMSQT Critical Reading:
- Point scale: 20-80
- Timing: Two 25-minute sections
- Questions: 48
- Question types:
Academic Skills Tested
Critical Reading questions are designed to test these specific skills — the same skills that are critical for success in college and career:
- Determining the Meaning of Words: Use vocabulary skills, context, roots, prefixes, and suffixes to determine the meaning of words.
- Author’s Craft: Understand how authors use tone, style, and writing devices such as metaphor and symbolism.
- Reasoning and Inference: Understand assumptions, suggestions, and implications in reading passages and draw informed conclusions.
- Organization and Ideas: Understand the organization of a reading passage, and identify the main and supporting ideas.
- Understanding Literary Elements: Understand literary elements such as plot, setting, and characterization.